I’ve been wanting to put this recipe up for so long! With university nearing its end, time has just been slipping out of my fingers. Three more weeks and I’ll have to start fending for myself in the real world!
This has been my go-to recipe lately. It’s easy and doesn’t require any sort piping skill. I’m also loving the feedback that they’re receiving from my family and friends. Even Kevin who isn’t keen on sweets, gives it the tick of approval. So with the festive season coming up, this just might be the recipe for you.
Yields 12-14 medium cupcakes
– 1 cup or 180g self-raising flour (plain flour will work just add a pinch of salt)
– 2 tsp. of baking powder
– 1/2 cup or 80g of cocoa powder
– 50g butter (softened to room temperature)
– 3/4 cup or 150g of sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1 cup or 250ml of milk
– 3/4 tsp. of vanilla essence
– 400g Maltesers Chocolate (For decoration/buttercream purposes oh and for snacking in between!)
– 250g of unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
– 100g icing sugar (sifted)
– 2 Tbs. of milk
– 2 tsp. of vanilla essence
How To: Cupcake Base
|Malteser Cupcake base – Surprise crunch!|
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celcius or 360 degrees Farenheit (fan-forced preferably)
5. Add eggs in one at a time and mix into butter/sugar component
10. Add 3 x Maltesers into each patty pan
How To: Maltesers Buttercream
1. Crush about 200g of the Maltesers Chocolates into chunky pieces then set aside (I used a bowl and pestle but, a food processor or using a knife and cutting the chocolates into rough 1/4 pieces would work)
2. Beat softened butter on high for 5-7 minutes until the yellow butter turns to a creamy – off white colour
3. Add and mix milk and vanilla essence until well combined
4. Add sifted icing sugar and beat for 5 minutes until well incorporated
5. Mix crushed Maltesers into the buttercream
6. Spread the Maltesers cream onto cupcakes (I just used a butter knife and spread about 1-2 Tbs. on each cupcake)
7. Pop 1 x Malteser onto the centre of each cupcake and nibble away!
Let me know if you give this lovely recipe a go. I’m always on Instagram so if you ever wanted to share a recipe or picture just tag me @nibblejo_x. These cupcakes are great for their simplicity and the crunchy Maltesers cream with the moist chocolate cupcake base is heaven. Hope you enjoyed this post!