Merry Christmas Nibblers!
Christmas is here and to celebrate, I wanted to share my ‘Strawberries and Cream Crepes.’ These are so easy to make and will please any crowd. If you’re busy you can just make all the components in advanced, pop it all in the fridge a day ahead and assemble them the day of your occasion. Perfect for this festive season!
How To: Strawberry and Cream Crepes
What you’ll need:
Makes 6-7 Crepes/Pancakes (23cm in diameter)
– 50g plain flour
– 2 Tbs. of caster sugar
– 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
– 3 eggs
– 1 drop of pink food colouring
– 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
– 1/2 cup of milk (125ml)
– 1 punnet of Strawberries sliced into approx. 5mm wide slices(250g)
– 150g thickened cream (heavy cream)
– 1 Tbs. caster sugar
– 1tsp. vanilla essence
Crepe batter Preparation:
1. Beat eggs, sugar, food dye, oil, vanilla essence and milk until well combined
2. Add flour and stir until incorporated
3. Sieve the crepe/pancake batter through a sift into a new bowl to rid of the lumps
4. Cover the batter mixture and leave at room temperature for 30-60 minutes
The Filling: Attend to filling component now while waiting
5. Fill a large bowl with water and ice to make an ice bath (To ensure the cream doesn’t split)
6. Pop a small mixing bowl into the ice bath and add cream, sugar and vanilla then whisk until hard (about 5 minutes) then set in fridge until needed
8. Lightly spray frypan (If it’s a non-stick fry pan, you won’t need to oil it)
9. Heat frypan on low heat
10. Using a small ladle or 1/4 cup, mix the crepe batter and then add into the middle of the fry pan
11. Swirl the batter around the pan to the edges
12. Cover the frypan and leave for approx. 1.5 – 2 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges
13. Slide the crepe/ pancake onto a plate and repeat until the batter is finished
14. Cover the crepes/ pancake with some cling film and leave in the fridge to cool for approx. 30 minutes
15. Construct pancake – a dollop of cream in the middle of the crepe, 3-4 strawberry slices on top and then fold in the sides and fold.
I hope you’re all having a lovely Christmas! I’m so happy with the recipes I’ve been able to put out during this festive period despite being so busy with work. May you all have an amazing day and enjoy with your friends and family. Hope you enjoyed this recipe!